Sunday, May 3, 2009

SWINE FLU!!!

The source of Swine Flu has been discovered!!! :-)

Okay, how many of you just rolled your eyes and said to yourselves, "Not again!!!"? If you're like me, you're SO ready for this Swine Flu thing to be over and done with. I am thoroughly annoyed with the media for all the hype they're piling on this "imminent pandemic". I mean, think about it people! How many lives are lost in car accidents every day? I don't know the exact numbers, but I can say with quite a bit of certainty that there are probably more automobile related deaths EVERY DAY than the total number of deaths from Swine Flu thus far. The media has blown this thing way out of proportion. Am I concerned about Swine Flu? Yes...but I'm also concerned about regular flu, stomach "flu", the common cold, ear infections, pink eye, hang nails, ingrown toenails, and athlete's foot. Get the picture? I'm just as concerned about Swine Flu as I am about any other illness that can potentially turn serious and cause serious damage. So, what are my children and I doing to avoid Swine Flu? Well, you can bet we're not staying home from school, the grocery store, and other public places. We are not wearing silly face masks and refusing to shake hands with others. What we ARE doing is washing our hands frequently with soap and hot water. We're avoiding close proximity with people who refuse to cover their coughs and sneezes and we're making sure to cover our OWN coughs and sneezes. We're using hand sanitizer as well as those sanitizing wipes that most stores offer for wiping down the grocery cart handles. And, we're eating healthy to keep our immune systems healthy. Granted, the scientific community is saying we don't have any natural immunity to this virus, but how do we GET natural immunity? By having a STRONG immune system that is then exposed to a substance (like the Swine Flu virus) and is able to fight it off. Our immune system then continues producing antibodies to the virus and BAM! Natural immunity!!

Incidentally, did you know that the government has been pushing the idea of us getting Swine Flu vaccines since 1976?!?! Check out this YouTube video of two (ridiculous) commercials from 1976:
Hilarious, huh?
Okay, enough of my soapbox for today. Have a wonderful week. Keep watching for another post soon. Theresa had another "fun" experience that I will be telling you all about!
Love,
~Twilight

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That photo is a riot!